On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm happy we're stating our opinions here, but there are also two other
> people who believe that the bin should not contain it. That's nice that you
> want source code in a binary release, but your opinion is not the only one.
> I feel like you're telling me that my opinion is sub-par to your opinion
> because it is.
>
> If this is such a sticking point, I move that we completely kill the
> notion of source and binary releases and make one tarball that contains
> both.

There must be a source-only tarball.  (I am aware that Hadoop and other
projects do not always abide by ASF policy in this matter.)  The source is
considered the release.  We may, for the convenience of our users, create
additional packages built from the source release.  It doesn't matter if
these are binary-only or source+binary, as long as they don't contain
additional source or binaries built from source not included in the
canonical source tarball / SVN tag.  http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

We already have some source in the binary release: the java code for the
examples, which is there as documentation.  So we probably shouldn't sweat
too much over the label "binary".  I personally like pre-built packages
that contain all the source code, but I don't mind trying out a streamlined
package for this release.

It does seem like we should either provide a bunch of pre-built native
libs, or make it easy for people to generate their own.

Billie