On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/4/13 9:35 AM, Keith Turner wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Josh Elser<josh.el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  >Yay, Git. Wait...

>>> development

>>> have
>>>

>> Why?  What problems are you thinking of w/ long-running minor release
>> branches?
>>

> I do not like them. It's mainly a personal opinion. Most modern SCM tools
> (even that 'terrible' SVN) strongly encourage you to release early and
> often. As such, I don't like having branches named like tags/releases. This
> is mostly a personal opinion; however, you can also read that as opinions
> after using git for ~5 years.

Discussed this w/ Christopher and Josh.  I understand Josh's point of view
a bit better now.  One thing I was unsure about was what to name these
transient branches for gathering bug fixes.  Christopher suggested using
snapshots, which seems very natural to me.

  * For serious bugs in 1.4.3  take 1.4.3 tag and create 1.4.4-SNAPSHOT
branch
  * Merge bug fixes to 1.4.4-SNAPSHOT from bug fix branches
  * Eventually tag 1.4.4 and delete 1.4.4-SNAPSHOT branch
  * 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT would only be created on an as needed basis.

I think this is nicer than leaving a 1.4 branch around.