tl;dr yes and yes

In an effort to continue productive conversation, let's go off of what Keith was saying about making a branch suffixed with -SNAPSHOT to denote the provenance of the changes and lifecycle of said branch.

Let's take the 1.4 series as an example:

1.4.4 has been released. The first person finds some changes that should be placed into a 1.4.5 release. As such, a 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT branch would be created from the 1.4.4 tag.

`git checkout 1.4.4 && git checkout -b 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT; hack; commit; git push origin 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT`

After which, 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT would contain a certain number of bug-fixes until it is deemed appropriate to release 1.4.4.

At which point, we would tag off of the 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT branch, merge the tag into the 1.5 series and through to the 1.6 series and delete the remote-tracking 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT branch as it now contains no additional information not contained by the 1.4.5 tag.