Oh, I see your point now. For hadoop 1 over hadoop 2 we would just use
the same profiles that we have in place. We could look into using a
classifier when deploying these artifacts so users can pull down a
version of minicluster that is compatible with hadoop2 without forcing
them to build it themselves.

Given that we already *have* hadoop-1.x listed as the default
dependency, I don't really see that as being an issue.