Highlights from hadoop.apache.org

YARN - A general purpose resource management system for Hadoop to allow MapReduce and other other data processing frameworks and services
    High Availability for HDFS
    HDFS Federation
    HDFS Snapshots
    NFSv3 access to data in HDFS
    Support for running Hadoop on Microsoft Windows
    Binary Compatibility for MapReduce applications built on hadoop-1.x
Substantial amount of integration testing with rest of projects in the ecosystem

Additionally, I believe there are substantial improvements in HDFS which should improve general performance for all filesystem ops.