What do we want Jira to represent? I prefer it when projects use Jira as a
work queue. If a feature request hasn't gotten interest in 2 years, it's
very unlikely it will suddenly jump to the top of our priority list.

I'm all for suggesting that requestors work on a patch and offering
feedback to guide them. But if there isn't someone willing to do the work,
the ticket is effectively wontfix. We should make sure there's a comment
that explains that we're open to a feature if someone comes forward to do
the work. We could also add a label so it's easier for the interested to
find them.

There is a cost to keeping these defunct tickets around. Old, untended
tickets discourage new participants. They make us look unresponsive and
they represent noise for those trying to look at what's going on.

We do need a place for ideas we find interesting but don't have resources
to handle yet. Many projects request that feature requests start on the
mailing list to gauge interest. We could just do that, though the mail
archive is neither super easy to search nor a convenient point of reference.

Maybe this would be a good use of our ASF wiki space?

--
Sean