That looks like an accurate representation of the informal process.
+1 for letting them assign themselves

Aside about #7: If this process gets documented in a contributor
section of the website (which, maybe it should?) or a wiki, or
whatever, I'd want to just add note that when looking for tickets to
work on, they do not have to shy away from something, just because it
is currently assigned to somebody else. Rather, they could seek out a
collaboration, or check on the status and see if it's actively being
worked on. This comment might be helpful to such a document, because
we all know the JIRA is not always up-to-date, and that tickets may be
assigned for other reasons.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii