I tried passing a MockInstance and a mock(Instance.class) higher in the
call chain, but it still tried to pull information out of them to make the
call.

Explicitly mocking that call might work, but I thought there was some issue
with PowerMock and Java 7 that existed when mocking static methods? Oh,
also that call is private, so I'd have to mock everything that uses it.
I'll look into that soon.