Like most things in big table, it really depends on your use case. The
column family can potentially control the location of a given key/value
pair on disk.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily more useful than any other part of the key
tuple. We have some built-ins that make searching for or suppressing column
families easier. They matter more when in a locality group, as there are
potential performance gains there.