On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:

> > > with
> > seen
> > > changes

> break
> > > needs

> be
> > correctness

> > methods
> > > >

> > > They're the same as far as I'm concerned. The intention is clearly to
> > move
> > > to the new method. The deprecation cycle will help when I need to have
> > > client that spans 1.6 and 1.7. It won't help when I need to span 1.6 to
> > > whatever the version is where the deprecated stuff is removed.
> > >

> > I'm perfectly content and willing to leave those methods un-deprecated,
> and
> > provide longer API support for the older methods, if that's the main
> > concern.
> >

> How about if we push this change in the API out to the client reworking in
> 2.0? Everything will break there anyways so users will already have to deal
> with the change.

Once again, this change does not break anything. I understand wanting to
reserve the deprecation of the old methods until 2.0, but I do not
understand the objection for API additions/improvements in 1.7.0 that has
no impact on existing methods or behavior. Also, since you can only veto
changesets, and not release candidates, I don't see what would stop a
release manager from backporting this changeset to 1.7 prior to its release
if we push it to a 2.0 branch. I don't see why this improvement must be
postponed.