If it helps, I've just initiated a vote for adopting guidelines for API
changes in 1.x versions to deal with the concerns Sean has raised. If we
can agree on a set of guidelines there, perhaps it might help clarify the
right way to move forward on this issue.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii