Shouldn't the delete be masked at a lower layer (DeletingIterator)? Or am I forgetting that Combiners see that value somehow (and maybe SummingCombiner is broken)?

Eric Newton wrote:
You may be seeing a delete marker.  In a compaction, you will see delete
markers, which have an empty value. You will have to check the delete flag
on the key before grabbing the Value.

-Eric