Accumulo will balance the tablets based on the configured balancer.

Without getting down into the details, the splits will be moved to other
nodes.

The Details:

It depends. With the default balancer, it will try to smooth out the number
of tablets among servers, by table. So, if this table goes from 1 tablet to
3, and there are at least 3 servers, each split will eventually find itself
moved to separate server. But, if you add one split among hundreds, it may
not make much of a difference to bother moving the tablet.

-Eric