I got some information back from INFRA about how the git-based sites work.
It's just plain old static hosting of a git branch. So, whatever we'd put
in a specified branch would show up directly on the site, no rendering or
generation. This would completely bypass CMS and buildbot staging builds.

Was discussing this with elserj in IRC, and these ideas came out of that:

1. Switch site to use git branch named "site" or "website" or similar.
2. Use jekyll 3 to generate the static site contents in this git branch.
3. Store the unrendered (markdown) jekyll stuff in a gh-pages branch.
4. Possibly set up a post-commit hook on gh-pages branch to render locally
and commit the generated static site to the "site" branch.

This would have the following benefits:

* Canonical rendering of "site" branch at http://accumulo.apache.org
* Identical, automatic rendering of gh-pages branch at
http://apache.github.io/accumulo
* Changes to gh-pages in forks would render in fork's github.io for
preview/testing
* Jekyll can be run locally for preview for non-GitHub users wishing to
contribute updates to site
* Use of jekyll means we can still edit/use markdown to edit pages
* Can still include non-markdown content and raw html

Another project which seems to be doing this (or something close to it) is
Apache Drill:
https://drill.apache.org/
http://apache.github.io/drill/
http://ctubbsii.github.io/drill/ (example fork build)