Github user joshelser commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/176

    > It might be how we create/use the WAL. It's possible that a tserver can
create a WAL and open an output stream to the first block, but never actually
write any data to it (see ACCUMULO-4004). I'm not quite sure of the state of
the first block and file from an HDFS perspective if the node dies while in
this state (WAL created, open input stream to the first block). But, I can say
that this does cause a problem (in Accumulo 1.6.4 at least).

    Ok, thanks for the details, Dave. If we have a scenario that can reliably
reproduce this, I can likely find an HDFS expert to give us some context on
what is happened at the HDFS layer. I'm not sure how to inspect the state of
that block nor would I know what would be "expected" or "correct" :)

    I think expanding on your original suggestion with some context from
ACCUMULO-4004 would be good.

---
with INFRA.
---