Josh,
It was exclusively the first - using the traces in the server-side code.
The most common case is "I have a scan which is much slower than expected",
and couldn't figure out why. I'm trying to think of alternative approaches
to using the traces, and honestly, doing a bunch of log aggregation is the
alternative I'd have to fall back to, and in some cases recompiling parts
of accumulo with new log messages in place.

Tony

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 7:18 PM, Josh Elser <els...@apache.org> wrote:

> Oh, that's a pleasant surprise to hear, actually.
>
> Anything you can share with the class, Tony? Would love to hear (even if
> brief) how it was used and benefited you.
>
> Specifically, I'm curious if...
>
> * You looked at traces from our server-side instrumented code
> * You instrumented your own code outside of Accumulo and used Accumulo as
> the backing store
> * You instrumented code inside/outside Accumulo and benefited from the
> server-side instrumentation (e.g. your code's spans collapsing with the
> server's spans)
>

> On 2/27/18 6:52 PM, Tony Kurc wrote:
>
>> I'd personally be disappointed to see it removed. There is a bit of a
>> learning curve and startup cost to use it now, but when diagnosing major
>> challenges, it has been an invaluable capability.
>>
>> On Feb 27, 2018 3:15 PM, "Josh Elser" <els...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Wow... that's, erm, quite the paper. Nothing like taking some pot-shots at
>> another software project and quoting folks out of context.
>>
>> Does it help to break down the problem some more?
>>
>> * Is Accumulo getting benefit from tracing its library?
>> * Is Accumulo getting benefit from tracing context including HDFS calls?
>>
>> I feel like it is a nice tool to have in your toolbelt (having used it
>> successfully in the past), but I wonder if it's the most effective thing
>> keep inside of Accumulo. Specifically, would it be better to just pull
>> this
>> out of Accumulo outright?
>>
>> I don't think I have an opinion yet.
>>

>> On 2/27/18 1:08 PM, Ed Coleman wrote:
>>
>> For general discussion - Facebook recently (Oct 28, 2017) published a
>>> paper on tracing: Canopy: An End-to-End Performance Tracing and Analysis
>>> System (https://research.fb.com/publications/canopy-end-to-end-
>>> performance-tracing-at-scale/)
>>>
>>> As a bonus, they referenced Accumulo and HTrace in section 2.2
>>>
>>> "Mismatched models affected compatibility between mixed system versions;
>>> e.g. Accumulo and Hadoop were impacted by the “continued lack of concern
>>> in
>>> the HTrace project around tracing during upgrades”

>>> refactor. I was hoping to explore the community a bit more at some
>>> upcoming