hi folks!

While reviewing things in prep for getting our master branch over to apache
hadoop 3 only (see related discussion [1]), I noticed some wording on the last
RC[2] for Hadoop 3.0.1:

> Please note:
> * HDFS-12990. Change default NameNode RPC port back to 8020. It makes
> incompatible changes to Hadoop 3.0.0. After 3.0.1 releases, Apache
> Hadoop 3.0.0 will be deprecated due to this change.

Hadoop 3.0.0 was a production-ready release; the community did an extended set
of alpha/beta releases to shake out the kinds of things that would have
required labeling the X.Y.0 release as non-production in previous Hadoop 2
release lines. Deprecating it is a pretty strong signal, but from the extended
discussion[3] it seems to me that this isn't meant indicate that the entire 3.0
release line will stop.

What do folks think?

- No problem from our perspective?
- Worth waiting to ship a Hadoop 3 ready release until Hadoop 3.0.1 comes out?
- Worth waiting to ship a Hadoop 3 ready release until Hadoop 3.1.0 comes out?
- Leave things as-is and give a word of warning for would-be early adopters in
our release notes?
- Expressly call things out in our release notes as "experimental" and we might
make changes once later Hadoop 3s come out?

[1]: https://s.apache.org/pOKv
[2]: https://s.apache.org/brE4
[3]: https://s.apache.org/BWd6