On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 2:47 PM Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 1:36 PM Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com.invalid>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > yes alphas please. Do we want to talk about expectations on time
> > > between alpha releases? What kind of criteria for beta or GA?
> >
> > There are a lot of changes in 2.0.0.  I plan to spend a lot of time
> > kicking the tires on 2.0.0-alpha.  It may be useful to set a tentative
> > deadline for 2.0.0 GA inorder to help anyone else planning to poke at
> > 2.0.0 prioritize and plan.  Seems like somewhere around 1 to 4 months
> > after alpha for GA would be reasonable. Not sure what the exact time
> > should be, I just know too short is bad and too long is bad.
> >

> I'd really like us to put 2.0 GA readiness in terms of feature /
> correctness goals rather than a strict time limit.

I agree, goals should take precedence over a date. May still be nice
to set a tentative goal date for completing the goals. Where would be
a good place to post this list of 2.0 release criteria?  Maybe a
Github issue with a checklist?  Below are some goals I think would be
good for 2.0.

 * Upgrade testing
 * Performance testing
 * Correctness testing
 * Write examples projects that use new features.
 * Review and/or write docs for new features and major changes.

For my testing I'll write it up as I go.  If there is an issue, I
could comment about that testing on the issue.