I am in favor of this. One possible way to move this forward would be
to write the following two proposals.

  * Transition proposal :  lays out how we will transition to this
plan.  For example it could outline that 1.9 will become the first
LTS.
  *  Release schedule proposal : lays out how the Accumulo release
schedule would work.

The proposals could be made as website PRs and discussion could happen
on the PR. If the proposals are adopted by the community, then they
could be turned into documentation.