That PR adds a new feature that is currently forward-incompatible in
behavior with 1.10.0 and 1.10.1. New features are supposed to go into the
next release, not patched into a bugfix on a release line that is intended
to be stable long term.

While our semver and LTM guidelines are just guidelines, and we can break
them when we want/need to, I think the project is better served if that
were rare. Every time we stretch/break those guidelines, we normalize
violating them, and the resulting reduced confidence in our software's
stability can create a feedback loop where the instability creates upgrade
aversion, and the upgrade aversion increases the demand for backporting
features. That's not sustainable, and it creates an unnecessary burden on
the development side of things. I think having boundaries that resist
against backporting features to stable branches creates a healthier
relationship between the devs and the users.

At this point, I'm a "soft" (not yet a veto) -1 to including that in 1.10.
I could be convinced if it were A) 100% forward compatible with
1.10.0/1.10.1 *and* either B) there was greater consensus for it among the
PMC or C) a good argument was made to justify adding the feature to a patch
release [A&(B|C)].

As for the schedule, I was thinking about creating a release candidate on
Monday if there weren't any issues.