By default, the tracer service that collects traces and writes them to
the trace table does not run. Generally, it is also responsible for
creating the trace table. If you have an empty trace table, was it
created by the tracer service, or did you create it manually?

Assuming tracing is working as intended and there is a tracer service
running, there's only a few operations that trace automatically, and
even they do so at a small probability by default (like compactions).
If your system is just started and you're using default settings, it
may not have had a chance to create any traces yet.

Some operations can be traced by explicitly turning on tracing once
everything is set up. You can test this by trying to turn on tracing
in the shell, using the "trace on" command, and then doing a scan,
then doing "trace off". I believe this still works as expected in
2.0.1. This should trace client side operations through to the server,
initiated from the shell. This is also possible to be done in
user-code, but there is no public API for it.

A lot of the behavior of tracing has had to change in the last few
versions because of the dependencies we previously used for tracing
are no longer supported. Everything should still work like it did in
previous versions, but it's possible 2.0.1 does have issues. For 2.1,
we're expecting to use OpenTelemetry, which should make tracing much
easier and more reliable to configure. However, we do not provide a
built-in OpenTelemetry sink in 2.1 to write tracing information to a
table in Accumulo, like we did in previous versions for HTrace. Such a
thing could be added by the user or a 3rd party, though.