Thanks Dejan, that worked.

My listener on the consumer side is now able to see messages from my
producer app via the REST API, but for some reason the messages are coming
across empty (meaning TextMessage.getText() returns null).

I created my own HTTP interface, which simply takes the body of the HTTP
message and sends it to activemq via JMS.  This works perfectly, and allows
me to retrieve the text from the HTTP body without any problems.

If I simply point my producer to activemq's REST URL, I get the empty
messages.

Any thoughts?