Just to follow up on list about this to fully describe the issue and potential
solution…

In the ActiveMQ schema that is used for both Blueprint and Spring, we use a
bunch of:

<xsd:any namespace=“##other”/>

in places where the user may want to add custom implementation of various
things.   Plugins, transports, etc….      In Spring, the normal way this would
work is to use the Spring “bean” element to define a bean there.   However,
blueprint does not have a top level “bean” element.  The only top-level element
that blueprint defines is the “blueprint” element.  Thus, you cannot define a
custom bean in those locations when using blueprint unless you create a
NamespaceHandler and register it and use a custom namespaced element in those
locations.   Definitely more work than should be necessary (and certainly more
work than when using Spring).

I just committed some changes to aries/blueprint to add “bean” and “reference”
elements to the aries “extensions” namespace handler.    While that’s not in
the blueprint namespace itself, it should work.  The users would need to use
something like:

<broker …>
  <plugins>
     <bp:bean
xmlns:bp="http://aries.apache.org/blueprint/xmlns/blueprint-ext/v1.5.0";
               class="org.apache.activemq.plugin.StatisticsBrokerPlugin" />
  </plugins>
…..
</broker>

to get it to work.  This will obviously require a new release of the aries
blueprint module and karaf releases and such.  I’m going to do some more
testing and verification before pursuing that.   No changes required for
ActiveMQ though.

Any additional thoughts/ideas on this are more than welcome.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org - http://dankulp.com/blog