From: "Matt Pavlovich" <mattr...@gmail.com>
To: dev@activemq.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:23:11 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis addressing improvements, JMS component removal
and potential 2.0.0

Hi Martin-

Glad to see this area getting dedicated attention. A couple things I
didn't see covered in the doc or the JIRA comments. (I'll be adding to
the JIRA comments as well.)

Items:

0. Pre-configuring destinations is a big brain drain, so anything that
can be client-driven is a win. Also, protocol specific handlers could
perform the admin operations on-demand.

    For example:  session.createDurableSubscriber(...)   The JMS handler
create the subscription on the behalf of the client.

1. Separate topic and queue namespaces.. in JMS topic:///foo !=
queue:///foo. The addressing will need some sort of way to separate the
two during naming collisions.

2. In ActiveMQ 5.x, AMQP and STOMP handled the addressing by using
queue:/// and topic:/// prefixes. I don't think that is necessarily a
bad thing, but something to consider b/c we need to support #1

3. As far as destination behaviors, how about using uri parameters to
pass provider (Artemis) specific settings on-the-fly?

     For example:  in AMPQ the address could be
topic:///foo?type=nonSharedNonDurable etc..  same for MQTT, STOMP, etc.

     There is precedence in using uri parameters to configure the
Destination in JMS as well. IBM MQ has
session.createQueue("My.Queue?targetClient=1")

     Note: AMQP supports options as well, so that could be used as well.
However, uri's tend to be better for externalizing configuration management.

4. Destination name separation b/w protocol handlers.  STOMP and MQTT
like "/" and JMS likes "." as destination name separators. Is there any
thought to having a native destination name separator and then have
protocol-specific convertors?

5. Fully qualified destination names that include a broker name. Other
providers support fully-qualified destination names in JMS following the
format:  queue://$brokerName/$queueName. Adding this would go a long way
to supporting migration of current applications without having to change
client-code.

     Note: This would probably impact cluster handling as well, so
perhaps in phase 1 there is just a placeholder for supporting a broker
name in the future?

-Matt