Hi all,

I would like to discuss with you about the ActiveMQ 5.x roadmap.

Even if Artemis is there, the stack is different and we still have lot
of users on ActiveMQ, and, as a ActiveMQ 5.x fan and contributor, I
think it's worth to give a new "dimension" to ActiveMQ 5.x.

As all Apache projects, ActiveMQ 5.x roadmap and use is driven by the
community, so I would like to propose and share some ideas with the
ActiveMQ community.

I already imagine a new codename for ActiveMQ 5.x roadmap: ActiveMQ Missus.

Basically, I would like to propose a roadmap around three major points:

1. Modularity
Today, ActiveMQ 5.x is a monolythic broker, even if most of the parts
are already well isolated (persistent stores, transport connectors,
etc). It makes sense to have some more "modular" and micro-services
oriented, why not leveraging Apache Karaf with services.

2. Configuration backends
We currently use Spring beans XML as main configuration backend (or
blueprint in Karaf). I think it makes sense to update and split the
configuration backend with something more "pluggable", and be able to
expose new configuration format like yml.

3. Protocol/API update
I would like to add support of JMS 2.0 in ActiveMQ 5.x and check/update
the other protocols/APIs.

4. Cloud friendly
I already sent some ideas weeks ago about "cloud friendly features" in
ActiveMQ 5.x.
Basically, I would like to propose:
- a replicated/distributed persistent store to be able to have several
brokers running with a distributed store. I'm testing an update to
KahaDB using Bookkeeper.
- provide new discovery agents with support of Kubernetes, Hazelcast, ...

I would love to hear the community about this ! ;)
I'm planning to start a complete document to provide more details and
"milestone".

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB