It sounds to me that we are getting involved more in politics than computer
science.

Be it as it may, it would be good to understand that every change we make
will incur a cost for many of our downstream users. Change their build
systems to use a different branch name, testing, qualifying. I would
encourage you to keep that in mind as well.

Cheers,
Hadrian