-1, upgrading the maven-assembly-plugin broke the build on my system.
Getting the typical issue with the group id being too large, not sure
why it didn't break before but breaks after the update.

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-assembly-plugin:3.3.0:single (unix-bin) on
project apache-activemq: Execution unix-bin of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-assembly-plugin:3.3.0:single failed: group
id '<removed>' is too big ( > 2097151 ). Use STAR or POSIX extensions to
overcome this limit

This line needs to be changed from "gnu" to "posix":

https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/2eac6d59de22eda06e71b8ec87ed65f61dbdcbdd/pom.xml#L1061

<tarLongFileMode>posix</tarLongFileMode>

See:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/faq.html#tarFileModes