+1

Removing them seems valid given the issues noted.

On 7/26/22 12:18, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
I think removing them would be good for various reasons inc all you noted below.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 at 14:34, Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com> wrote:
We currently deploy these following shaded uber jars with ActiveMQ Artemis.

artemis-jms-client-all
artemis-core-client-all
artemis-jakarta-client-all

We are in the process of removing jboss-logging, and replacing it by
SLF4j /LOG4J on a separate branch, and we will probably make a switch
on the branch as 3.0.

I never really liked these shaded jars as part of the distribution. I
would be inclined to remove them on a switch for 3.0 anyways, and now
we are having a build issue,
as they will fail (on a second build) shading apache-commons-logging:

ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-shade-plugin:3.3.0:shade (default) on
project artemis-core-client-all: Error creating shaded jar: duplicate
entry:
META-INF/services/org.apache.activemq.artemis.shaded.org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
-> [Help 1] [ERROR]  [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the
errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch. [ERROR] Re-run Maven using
the -X switch to enable full debug logging. [ERROR]  [ERROR] For more
information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the
following articles: [ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException
[ERROR]  [ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the
build with the command [ERROR]   mvn <args> -rf
:artemis-core-client-all

Also, they add about 20MB to our distribution, and more 10MB for the
core-client-all that's not on the distro but it is on maven repo.

This is a common trend with other projects. Netty stopped producing a
netty-all and is offering a pom. Jetty did the same thing.. and There
are a lot of issues introduced by an "all client".

So, even though we could fix the build, these JARs are never tested as
part of the testsuite or anything.... It's like playing with the
odds...  and they are huge on the distribution as they will all
include copies of Netty.

I would really like to remove these JARs and I think it would be a
great improvement to do so.

These POMS are already defining all the dependencies anyway. Any user
who wants to have a shaded jar would just be able to shade it
themselves as part of their project.

If anyone  have a strong feeling about keeping them we would need:

- your opinion (why we keep them on 3.0)
- Help fixing the build on new-logging
- Help with adding smoke tests for these jars.

anyone?

--
Tim Bish