Hi All,

This is a very good question. Lets discuss these options so we are consistent
across releases.

If we look at the way we are doing releases, we are calling a feature freeze
and code freeze and cutting a release. Most of the time, our build is broken.
Jenkins   statistics for Airavata is not looking good at all [1]. We are barely
fixing the build a day before the release, putting out an RC and testing on it
and releasing it in a quick succession. As we are seeing on user lists, we have
users upgrading with every release. I think we should increase the release
quality. I would vote for atleast 3 RC’s per release. If we are not finding
issues in first RC, I would say, either the software has magically become too
too good or we are not doing through testing. I suspect the later.

I will propose the following, please counter it and lets agree on a process:

* Lets post a RC1 as is (which means it will have a snapshot). This pack, we
should all test as much as possible, so its more of a test candidate then a
release candidate. If it helps, we can use the name TC1. I am not particular on
the naming but trying to emphasize the need for having atleast more RC's per
release.

* If we do not expose significant issues in RC/TC 1 then we proceed with RC2
which will follow the proper release process. But if we have a reasonable
issues bought out, we need a RC2/TC2 also without following the release process.

* The key thing I am proposing is, we keep doing RC/TC’s until we all are sure
the quality is good enough with documented known issues. When we are sure, then
we proceed to have RC with proper release process.

So this will mean more testing and twice (or more) the times every one has to
test, but I think it is worth it. This might also get over the 6 week release
cycle, but I think we need to trade for some quality releases as we march
towards 1.0.

Suresh
[1] - https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Airavata/