Hi Dave,

I was planning to have a separate tenant for each gateway. For example
PHP-Reference-Gateway has a separate tenant in the WSO2 IS. Each of these
have a tenant admin (can have more than one). And gateways has to use the
tenant admin credentials to use the UserAPI.

The adminLogin and adminLogout functions are for the gateways to
authenticate with the UserAPI using the given tenant admin credentials.

After authenticating using the tenant admin credentials gateways can use
the API to do the given operations. Standard users cannot log in to the
UserAPI (only the tenant admin can login). But the gateways can
authenticate uses via the API given the user's username and password.

If we need to distinguish different users separately  we can create user
groups and add users to groups. But still I don't have added this
functionality to the UserAPI.