How many instances need to deploy your logging solution in productions? How
> Simple/Complex compare to Airavata deployment?
>
> These are completely deployment level details which someone needs to
> experiment with based on the load of Airavata deployment, for the setup I
> tested I used 3 node kafka cluster with 25GB in each and I think its more
> than enough but completely depends on the deployment.

Do this solution need only kafka? I am interested in deployment setup for
full solution not just for kafka. As you already worked on similar steup
previously(you mentioned above) i though you might have recommended
deployment on board.

> Regarding why Kafka, I've used similar setup and it never gave me a
> problem and worked with thousands of logs without giving performance
> problems or issue with the scale of the logs.  I did a demo/presentation
> about this to the IU folks few weeks back and attached the presentation to
> Jira[1].
>

> Just because Kafka works doesn't mean kafka is the best solution for
> Airavata.
>
> Yes obvious statement.

 Yes, you gave that obvious statement for the original quection "why
kafka?". Do you have any other reason than this obvious statement.

> If you explain little bit the setup you have worked on, that would help us
> to get some ideas. What is the other advantage make Kafka is the best one
> here instead of RabbitMQ (Which we already use in Airavata for messaging) ?
>
> Yes, having RabbitMQ appender is also good, so if some user wants to use
> RabbitMQ they can use if someone wants Kafka they can use Kafka. I think we
> should support Kafka for internal communication too.

Could you explain more about this?

> Having KafkaAppender will not stop you from implementing more Appenders,
> there's more improvements can be done in this area to provide better
> infrastructure with Airavata.

But we should have default solution in Airavata, that is the whole point of
this integration, anyone can write any appender. When i see you solution I
don't see an easy way to plug different appenders.

Thanks,
Shameera.

Shameera Rathnayaka