Thanks Kevin for opening the discussion. I think it is important to have a
clear overview on how to approach the AIP.

First of all, how many DAGs do we have that take 30s to parse? I consider
this bad practice, and this would also result in an unworkable situation
with the current setup of Airflow since it will take a lot of resources on
the webserver/scheduler, and the whole system will become unresponsive. I
will be hard to cope with such DAGs in general.

The idea from the AIP is to have the versioned version of the dag in the
DB, so in the end, you won't need to parse the whole thing every time. Only
when you trigger a DAG, or when you want to see the current status of the
dag.

Like stated earlier, I strongly feel we shouldn't serialize the DAGs as
JSON(5) or pickles in general. For me, this is deferring the pain of
setting up a structure of the DAG object itself.
Having the DAG denormalized in the database will give us cleaner storage of
our DAG. We can, for example, enforce fields by making them not null, so we
know that is something is off at write time, instead of read. Furthermore,
we're missing logical types such as dates, which we efficiently can query
using the indices of the database.
Also, with all serialization formats, evolution isn't trivial. Consider the
situations when:
- We're introducing a new field, and it might be null, therefore we need to
bake in all kinds of logic into the Airflow code, which you don't want.
With proper migration scripts, you could prefill these fields, and make
them not null.
- Changing the models, for example, you still can't change a string-type
into a integer with adding custom logic. In this case, the reviewer needs
to be extra careful that there are no breaking changes introduced. Right
now we're doing minimal forward- and backward compatibilitytesting.

In the case we get too many migrations, we could also squash (some of them)
when preparing the release.

Personally, I don't think the serialization is the issue here. As Max
already mentioned, it is the optimal balance of (de)normalization. From the
user perspective, the serialization won't change much of the behaviour of
Airflow.

For me, instead of having `DAG.serialize()` and `DAG.deser(version)` is not
the ideal approach. But it might be that we're on the same page :-) I
believe it should be something like `DagRun.find('fokkos_dag',
datetime(2018, 03, 01))` and construct the correct version of the dag.
Since there is an uniqueness constrain on dag_id, datetime, this will
always return the same dag. You will get the versioned DagRun as it ran
that time. Serializing the fields adn storing them in the database should
happen transparently when you update the DAG object. When you run a dag,
you'll parse the dag, and then run it. `Dag().create_dagrun(...)`, this
will create a DagRun as the name suggests, if the version of the dag still
exists in the database, it will reuse that one, otherwise it will create a
new version of the DAG (with all the operators etc). In this sense the
version of the DAGs should be done within the Dag(Run).

The versioning will change the behavour from a user perspective. Right now
we store only a single version. For example, the poor mans backfilling
won't work anymore. This is clearing the state from past&future, up- and
downstream, and let it catch up again.
In this case, the old version of the DAG won't exists anymore, and
potentially there are tasks that aren't in the code anymore. In this case
we need to clear the version of the dag, and rerun it with the latest
version `DagRun.find('fokkos_dag', datetime(2018, 03, 01)).clear()`. How we
are going to do clear's downstram in the middle of the dag, that is
something I still have to figure out. Because potentially there are tasks
that can't be rerun because the underlying Python code has changed, both on
user level as on Airflow level. It will be impossible to get these features
pure in that sense.
I would not suggest adding a new status in here, indicating that the task
can't be rerun since it isn't part of the DAG anymore. We have to find the
balance here in adding complexity (also to the scheduler) and features that
we need to introduce to help the user.

Cheers, Fokko

Ps. Jarek, interesting idea. It shouldn't be too hard to make Airflow more
k8s native. You could package your dags within your container, and do a
rolling update. Add the DAGs as the last layer, and then point the DAGs
folder to the same location. The hard part here is that you need to
gracefuly restart the workers. Currently AFAIK the signals given to the pod
aren't respected. So when the scheduler/webserver/worker receives a
SIGTERM, it should stop the jobs nicely and then exit the container, before
k8s kills the container using a SIGKILL.  This will be challenging with the
workers, which they are potentially long-running. Maybe stop kicking off
new jobs, and let the old ones finish, will be good enough, but then we
need to increase the standard kill timeout substantially. Having this would
also enable the autoscaling of the workers.