Jason, I just set up a fresh Airflow installation and was able to configure
remote logging via S3 connection. Could you please try the following:

1. Create the S3 connection as you described
2. Open python and run:
    import airflow
    s3 = airflow.hooks.S3Hook('s3_conn')
    s3.load_string('test', airflow.conf.get('core',
'remote_base_log_folder'))
3. Confirm whether the test file is created?

Thanks,
Jeremiah