David
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-558 (i.e. http
s://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/pull/1830 ) Is on my plate.. have
already gone through many rounds of reviews, testing, and fixes with the
submitter and does not need to wait till 2.0. We should be able to merge it
soon. BTW, you are encouraged to vote on these PRs so maintainers can
prioritize their time.

Max,

Thanks for kicking off this thread.

Regarding 2.0, we've associated feature deprecation and non-backward
compatible changes with 2.0. Some of this work might be pretty
earth-shaking to Airflow users. IMHO, changes that increase user pain at
upgrade time need to be carefully balanced against value.

Watching both Gitter and the email list, there are a variety of stumbling
points (for new users) that many of us who have been using the product for
1-2 years have forgotten. A fair number of people still mention that
getting Airflow up and running is no simple task - i.e. Alex mentioned this
in his talk at the last meet-up. The recent BlueYonder talk referenced
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Common+Pitfalls

Though we may be numerically near 2.0 in terms of release numbers, I'd
prefer to prioritize a few things higher than releasing 2.0. We need to
build and exercise a few necessary muscles : timely PR processing & timely
Apache releases (i.e. quarterly). Beyond that, I'd like to prioritize the
"common pitfall" problems to ease on-boarding. Some of these don't need to
wait for a major release. The ones that do can be developed on a separate
2.0 branch and baked, reviewed, and voted on by the community before we
consider dropping it into master.

That way, we can keep master healthy to support the increasing rate of
community-submitted PRs that we are seeing and reduce the cycle time of
cutting stable releases, all while working on big-bang changes for 2.0
independently.

Just my $0.02
-s