It works very well. For Superset (aka Caravel) we're mostly in the React /
async world while using FAB as an async REST backend, and still leveraging
the CRUD interface where it makes sense. It's nice to be able to define
roles as collection of perms that affect both the REST api and the UI
consistently.

Note that it's also common to have a data injection point to pass
"bootstrap data" along with the simple html container that is sent over,
usually squishing a json blob somewhere in the static dom. Barebone
templating work well for that.