Dear All,

I have made the first BETA of Airflow 1.8.0 available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/> , public keys are
available at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/> . It is tagged
with a local version “apache.incubating” so it allows upgrading from earlier
releases. This beta is available for testing in a more production like setting
(acceptance environment?).

I would like to encourage everyone  to try it out, to report back any issues so
we get to a rock solid release of 1.8.0. When reporting issues a test case or
even a fix is highly appreciated.

By moving to beta, we are also in feature freeze mode. Meaning no major
adjustments or additions can be made to the v1-8-test branch. There is one
exception: the cgroups+impersonation patch. I was assured that before we merge
that it will be thoroughly tested, so its can still enter 1.8 if within a
reasonable time frame. A lot of work has gone into it and it would be a shame
if we would lose momentum.

Finally, it would also be really nice of have some updates to the
documentation. In order of importance:

* UPDATING.md What does a user need to think of when upgrading to 1.8? MySQL
5.6.4 is now minimally required, scheduler now has separate logs per file
processor.
* docs/configuration.rst We have many new options, especially in the scheduler
area
* docs/faq.rst
* CHANGELOG.txt (compiled from git log)
* swagger definitions for the API

HIGHLIGHTS of the beta:

* DAG catchup: If False the scheduler does not fill in the gaps between the
start_date and the current_date. Can be specified per dag or globally
* Per DAG multi processing: More robust and faster DAG processing. A faulty DAG
should not take down the scheduler any more
* Google Cloud Operators: Feature complete I have heard.
* Time units now dynamic UI
* Better SMTP handling and attachment support
* Operational metrics for the scheduler
* MSSQL Improvements
* Experimental Rest API with Kerberos support
* Auto alignment of start_date to interval
* Better support for sub second scheduling
* Rolling restart of web workers
* nvd3.js instead of highcharts
* New dependency engine making debugging why my task is running easier
* Many UI updates
* Many new operators
* Many, many, many bugfixes

RELEASE PLANNING