One drawback is the lack of proper cross DAG prioritization. Note that in
>= 1.8:

* the scheduler is a multi process queue, in terms of fire power it should
not be the bottleneck for anyone at this point. Effectively you could have
64+ scheduling threads on a single large machine. This should make the db
the new bottleneck, but serve the needs of any large company doing
something reasonable (from my guts I'd say firing thousands of tasks per
minute should work smoothly)
* each process in the queue evaluates a single DAG and reports runnable
tasks to the main scheduler process which accumulates, prioritizes and puts
messages in the queue on a specified interval. If you have DAGs that are
slow to process for some reason, they'll miss the train get on board of the
next one.
* where double-triggers are normally an edge case, they become the norm
when running multiple schedulers
* in theory, double triggers should be handled properly, and fire once and
only once. But we've seen occurrences of double-firing in 1.8.0, which
we're fixing now, but minimizing double triggers helps lowering the risk of
double-firing.
* note that tasks may be indempotent from a sequential perspective but
double-firing in parallel may have bad side-effects
* the existing protections and light guarantees around double-firing, along
with luck around "parallely idempotent" tasks is what mitigated
double-triggers and made running multiple schedulers work historically

For Airflow to have a "features distributed scheduling" stamp on it, we'd
have to somehow prevent most double-triggering when running multiple
schedulers. This could be achieved by the individual schedulers somehow
taking locks, perhaps at the DAG level (impacts cross DAG prioritization in
pools negatively), or by taking turns on running scheduling cycles somehow
(would enable resiliency only, not distributing the workload).

Ideally, I think we'd want to accumulate runnable tasks in a message queue,
and schedulers would only take turns on the process that read from that
queue, prioritizes and send messages to run tasks on workers.

Max