Wait. That field does have an index and it looks like Dan added it 8 months
ago.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blame/master/airflow/models.py#L744

Here's the related DB migration script:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blob/master/airflow/migrations/versions/211e584da130_add_ti_state_index.py

Maybe it didn't make the previous release, it should be there in 1.8.0 if
it wasn't in the release you are runing.

You can go ahead and create the index manually as well, though that may
break the migration script as you upgrade if you do.

Max