FYI: When all root tasks (i.e. the last tasks to run) have succeeded the DagRun
is considered successful and the scheduler will not consider any other tasks in
the dag run. The code is here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blob/master/airflow/models.py#L4095
for version 1.8, and hasn’t changed significantly since 1.7:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blob/airbnb_rb1.7.1_4/airflow/models.py#L2678
 . As 1.7 is more task based and 1.8 more dag run based the behaviour between
1.7 and 1.8 might be different (Sid is investigating).

Thus to make sure the tasks run you will need to clear the Root task - thus
downstream clearing will definitely work. I’m not sure this is a change in
behaviour as explained above. As most of the use case will clear downstream
(its the default), a workaround is available, I don’t consider it a blocker.

- Bolke.