I really do not think we should drop sqlite support. We use sqlite for
local testing/development; I used it when doing my initial evaluation of
Airflow; and there are regular comments in this group about people using
sqlite locally for their workflows. It feels like a critical feature for a
lot of use cases.

I also feel like we're kind of jumping the gun on pushing for 2.0 (is it
just because 9 is the last single digit?). There is a lot of the code base
that's pretty hairy and a number of things that are fairly non-performant /
buggy. I don't think that we NEED to break backward compatibility to clean
things up and fix things. I don't particularly like pickle or the old
import style but I don't feel like supporting them is terribly onerous (I
could be wrong).

New webserver, releasing the API, and even timezones are all things that
can be released in a non-breaking fashion.

--George