The major reason we have been waiting was mostly because 1.8.2 and 1.9 are
backwards incompatible (don't remember off the top of my head but one
operator broke important so everything failed for us), so neglected doing
the work to support both versions (need to support both since different
teams move at different rates).

We need to do this anyways (frozen in time is very bad).