Great, I think we're in agreement on your definition of static.

In my own experience, working with S3 keys can be painful if you can't
anticipate the key name. I don't think the S3KeySensor will work as it's
written.

There's another operator that's not in the docs, but can be seen below the
S3KeySensor called S3PrefixSensor here:
https://airflow.apache.org/_modules/sensors.html#S3KeySensor

That may work for you. Overall your question was whether or Airflow suits
your needs. I think the answer to that is YES, but in the worst case you'll
have to write a customer operator to handle your needs precisely, .e.g. by
processing all files that match a prefix "s3a://mybucket/{{date}}*".