> On 5 Aug 2018, at 18:01, Bolke de Bruin <bdbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ash,
>
> Thanks a lot for the proper review, obviously I would have liked that these
> issues (I think just one) are popping up at rc3 but I understand why it
> happened.

Yeah, sorry I didn't couldn't make time to test the betas :(

> Can you work out a patch for the k8s issue? I’m sure Fokko and others can
> chime in to make sure it will be the right change.

Working on it - I'll go for a conditional import, and only except if the
"k8s://" scheme is specified I think.

> On the timezone change. The database will do the right thing and correctly
> transform a datetime into the timezone the client is using. Even then we
> enforce UTC internally and only transform it for user interaction or when it
> is relevant (to make sure we do daylight savings for example). It is
> therefore not required to force a timezone setting with sql alchemy beyond
> when we convert to timezone aware (see migration scripts).

I think the database is being "smart" here in converting, but I'm not sure it's
the Right thing. It wouldn't surprise me if we have other places in the
codebase that expect datetime columns to come back in UTC, but they might come
back in DB-server local timezone.

Trying
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/compare/master...ashb:set-timezone-to-utc-on-connect?expand=1

<https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/compare/master...ashb:set-timezone-to-utc-on-connect?expand=1>
 - it "fixes" my logging issue, tests are running
https://travis-ci.org/ashb/incubator-airflow/builds/412360920

> On the logging file format I agree this could be handled better. However I do
> think we should honor local system time for this as this is the standard for
> any other logging. Also logging output will be time stamped  in local system
> time. Maybe we could cut off the timezone identifier as it can be assumed to
> be in local system time (+01:00).

The issue with just cutting off the timezone is that old log files are now
unviewable - they ran at 00:00:00 UTC, but the hour of the record coming back
is 01.

> If we take on the k8s fix we can also fix the logging format. What do you
> think?

Also as a quick fix I've changed the UPDATING.md as suggested:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/compare/master...ashb:updating-for-logging-changes?expand=1.
 The log format is a bit clunky, but the note about log_task_reader is needed
either way. (Do we need a Jira ticket for this sort of change, or is
AIRFLOW-XXX okay for this?)