Hi Thomas,
I think this can be achieved by modifying the file role_command_order.json
under the stack definition folder (e.g. BIGTOP/0.8).

Here is an example that defines the namenode should be started before
starting the secondary namenode

"SECONDARY_NAMENODE-START": ["NAMENODE-START"]

​
Hope this helps.

--
Cheers