Team…

The amount of patches we are committing to trunk without ensuring the unit
tests run successfully is getting out of control.

I know that we all write flawless code, but sometimes we do mess up; and the
unit tests are there to help us find those mistakes.  Can we make sure that we
run the unit tests locally before submitting patches and then ensure that the
unit tests pass before merging into the trunk.

Sometimes, the failure is not related to our patches.  However, I have seen
several times where this was the claim, yet in the end the failure was due to
that patch.  If there is a unit test failure and you have the time to track it
down, please do and file a JIRA.  If you can figure out what patch caused the
error, you can assign the JIRA to the responsible party or you can attempt to
fix the issue yourself. In the event the issue is rather large, reverting that
offending patch is an option.  Since this is getting out of control and I am
trying to follow the protocol, I am considering taking it upon myself to revert
patches that cause unit test failures.

We have work to do, and these issues are slowing us down.  On top of the
failures, we have a lot of people blindly issuing “retest this please”
requests. The end result is a backup of the Ambari-Github-PullRequest-Builder
queue, only to continue to fail.  The last 40 or so test runs have failed and
we currently have a backlog of 5 pending test runs that will probably fail due
to the following failures:

Ambari Metrics Collector

Tests in error:

org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.applicationhistoryservice.metrics.timeline.source.RawMetricsSourceTest.testRawMetricsCachedAndSourced(org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.applicationhistoryservice.metrics.timeline.source.RawMetricsSourceTest)

  Run 1: RawMetricsSourceTest.testRawMetricsCachedAndSourced:114 » Cache
java.lang.Runt...

  Run 2: PASS

  RawMetricsSourceTest.testRawMetricsSourcedAtFlushInterval:72 » Cache
java.lang..

Ambari Server

1980102 [ERROR] Failures:

1980102 [ERROR]
StackDefinedPropertyProviderTest.testStackDefinedPropertyProviderAsAdministrator:243->testPopulateResourcesWithAggregateFunctionMetrics:1235
 expected:<4> but was:<3>

1980103 [ERROR]
StackDefinedPropertyProviderTest.testStackDefinedPropertyProviderAsClusterAdministrator:221->testPopulateResourcesWithAggregateFunctionMetrics:1235
 expected:<4> but was:<3>

1980103 [ERROR]
StackDefinedPropertyProviderTest.testStackDefinedPropertyProviderAsServiceAdministrator:265->testPopulateResourcesWithAggregateFunctionMetrics:1235
 expected:<4> but was:<3>

1980103 [ERROR]   AMSPropertyProviderTest.testFilterOutOfBandMetricData:741 No
value for property metrics/cpu/cpu_user

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForHostComponentMetricsForMultipleHosts:1030
 No value for property metrics/dfs/datanode/blocks_removed

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForMultipleHostMetricscPointInTime:307
 No value for property metrics/cpu/cpu_user

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForRegexpMetrics:430 No value for
property metrics/yarn/Queue/root/AvailableMB

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForSingleComponentMetric:480 No
value for property metrics/rpc/RpcQueueTime_avg_time

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForSingleHostMetric:207 No value
for property metrics/cpu/cpu_user

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testRbacForAMSPropertyProvider:123->testPopulateResourcesForSingleHostMetric:207
 No value for property metrics/cpu/cpu_user

1980103 [ERROR] Errors:

1980103 [ERROR]   TestHeartbeatHandler.testComponents:1351 » NullPointer

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testAggregateFunctionForComponentMetrics:695 NullPointer

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateMetricsForEmbeddedHBase:614 NullPointer

1980103 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForHostComponentHostMetrics:847
NullPointer

1980104 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForMultipleHostMetrics:373
NullPointer

1980104 [ERROR]
AMSPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourcesForSingleHostMetricPointInTime:255
NullPointer

1980104 [ERROR]
AMSReportPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResourceWithAggregateFunction:146
NullPointer

1980104 [ERROR]   AMSReportPropertyProviderTest.testPopulateResources:103
NullPointer

1980104 [ERROR]   ServicePropertiesTest.validatePropertySchemaOfServiceXMLs:49
» Ambari File /ho...

We need to get these errors fixed before rerunning any more tests or merging
any more patches.

Rob