...Sure, I understand your points. And I also admit - the XML-spec does
*not* say that; it does say white-space should be passed to the app! I just
had a harder look.

But the same section (http://www.xml.com/axml/target.html#sec-white-space
) does say something about "In editing XML documents, it is often convenient
to use "white space" ... to set apart the markup for greater readability".
The "xml:space" is there for some reason. Is this formulation targeted at
element-bodies? I am not at all sure, but the section does say "xml:space
may be attached to an element to signal an intention that in that element,
white space should be preserved by applications".

Here, "in that element" can hardly mean anything but "within the body of
that element"? Or can it?

XML-spec or not, from what I have seen, it is somewhat common within
XML-formats, that leading/trailing white-space is ignorable, I belive.

      -----

Regarding this "break"-thing - it is not I, who - back in January? - wrote
e.g. the document "http://ant.apache.org/ant2/features.html"; and said -

"Ant2 is going to break Ant1 in several ways"

- and -

"Build files written for Ant1 will probably not be valid in Ant2 or at least
not yield the same results. It is expected that Ant2 will come with a tool
to translate Ant1 build files into equivalent Ant2 versions"

*This* is what I had in mind; it is most certainly not I, who invented the
"break" term.

But of course, that is a long time ago. Opinions change.

Regards,
  Morten Sabroe Mortensen