(Apologies in advance for the length of this post)

The feeling has been growing in me that a future
version of Ant should abstract the concept of file I/O
with an interface that can supply InputStreams and
OutputStreams, or Readers and Writers if we can
restrict to character content--which would be quite
possible--or both.  With this type of abstraction a
property could be treated as a file (existing
properties could be read-only and throw appropriate
Exceptions when overwrite attempts were made.  This
could add, I feel, a good deal of flexibility for a
fairly low cost.

I guess the motivating factor to this idea is my
intense dislike of the clutter of temp files,
especially when they do very little.

Comments?
-Matt