I'm using ANT 1.5.4 (included in Eclipse M4).  The following is the task
that I'm calling to generate my WAR.
<target name="war" depends="compile.java" description="build the
distribution (war) file" >
        <war destfile="${dist.dir}/MYWAR.war" filesonly="false"
                        webxml="${basedir}/descriptors/WEB-INF/web.xml">
                <fileset dir="${basedir}/Java/" casesensitive="false">
                        <!--this directory has a set of empty
directories-->
                        <include name="emptydir/**"/>
                </fileset>
                <lib dir="${lib.dir}" casesensitive="false">
                        <include name="*.jar"/>
                </lib>
                <classes dir="${build.dir}" casesensitive="false">
                        <include name="**"/>
                </classes>
        </war>
</target>