Yes, I wrote the changes to commons-net several months ago.
NetComponents only had support for unix ftp systems, with some
documentation
about how to "roll your own" i.e. write your own implementations of
their interface.  Not very suitable for ant.

One developer wrote some simple parsers and I enhanced these.  You can
find the different parsers in the package
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.parser.  However, be careful with the
documentation, especially the documentation under the class
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.parser.NTFTPEntryParser.  The "usage" section
there seems to be a bit out of date.

There is more up to date documentation in the javadoc comment in the
file org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.java, under the method
createFileList(FTPFileEntryParser parser).  For some reason I do not
understand, this usage information did not make it into the javadoc that
is actually displayed on the commons-net javadoc site.

Basically, as I see it, the ant task would be rewritten to allow
specification of the system types.  It would decode this attribute to
allow a FTPFileEntryParser object to be instantiated, and then use that
object as described in this documentation.

Frankly, it would be a wonderful thing if the ant-user community found
other types of FTP systems not supported or incorrectly supported in
commons-net and then commons-net could be updated with even better
support.

I would be happy to volunteer for this task myself, except that at the
moment I am about to be unemployed and may or may not have a job right
away.  If I do not, this might be a good way to spend my time in between
interviews and pounding the pavement looking for work.  If I get a new
job soon, I may not have time.  But at least I have moved my
subscription to this list away from my work email address and will be
able to follow the discussions from home.