Kenneth Olving wrote:
Steve, thank you for a comment in depth.

version, but changing a default is the kind of subtle change that doesn't appear to break things, but changes the expected results. People really hate it when we do that.

Yes - again, I can definitively relate to that. The bottom reason I desired
this may very well be me that I'm overprotective :-)...my background is in CM,
and we've had a few cases which burned us a bit where people happily chugged
away for months, and then we started getting really weird cp problems when
deploying, even though it all built fine. It took us some time to nail down the
problem - they were unknowingly using libs that just happened to be present in
the internal Ant cp. Different versions than we later shipped for
deployment...ugh.

Like Erik said; put a custom Ant distro in SCM for the team to use. If you give it a different name e.g. 'WANT' and modify the batch/script files to look for WANT_HOME it will coexist with any other ant distros. this lets you lock down much more what everyone is working with, and lets you add needed libraries to the build without forcing everyone to manually add them.

=steve